Friday, February 12, 2010

The Dumbest Generation

So after watching the movie, The Dumbest Generation, I have to say that I dont quite agree with Dr. Bauerlein's opinion of us being the dumbest generation. I feel that he had some valid points, but I dont think that we are dumb. I feel as though we just dont apply ourselves. We all have potential to do well and to gain knowledge and to broaden our learning, but we dont choose to do so. Instead of going to the museum we would rather go to the movies. The innernet makes it easy for us to find information at the click of our mouse. But we arent on the computer reading about the history of the holocaust, instead we are mindless social networking on facebook. There is a time for work and to get our education and that is why we are at college. We arent dumb. we are preparing for our future and gaining knowledge. I think he goes overboard to say that you shouldnt trust anyone under 30. Its not our fault that we were born into a world of technology and the ever widening horizon of inventions and advances. I alson feel as thouh he didnt have any details to back up his statements. He had numbers and statistics, but we are all different. we are individuals, not statistics.

4 comments:

  1. I dont like to be a statistic either, i think that he should think more about what he saying. Not trusting anyone under 30 is a bit ridiculous too. Like you said we have time for education and time to do what we want, and technology is predominate in what we want to do. Not our faults, not anyones really its just how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you make very valid points. We aren't statistics, we are people and everyone is different. I don't like to be lumped in with everyone else because I am my own person. We were born into this generation, we cannot help it. I wonder if he was born in this generation how he would feel if someone else was calling him dumb, and personally attacking him. I don't think that he would be proud to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. We were brought into all this, and you can't expect us not to use it whenever the people years above us have been! The technology thing goes way back in time, so why isnt thier fault? Heck if he's calling us dumb, he might as well call every generation dumb becuase they are all guilty too! He went way too far into it and was trying to be all "smart" and ended up making himself look dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you are saying. The "dumbest generation" should not have been applied to people under the age of thirty. Why can't one be trusted. Just because he has the numbers and charts that show that one doesnt read, but I feel as though people have potential.

    ReplyDelete