Friday, February 5, 2010

Advertisents & meaning



When watching the videos in class this week, they really opened my eyes. I especially enjoyed the Killing us Softly clip. It made me to critically look at advertisements and ask myself what is their message? what are they really trying to tell me to do or to buy? Now that I have seen this movie, I see that ads sell images of women. These images are focused on how we as women look and that our looks are important. We have to all have the ideal image of flawlessness. We as young women in society today feel the extreme pressure to be perfect. We have to strive to fit in and be perfect and beautiful. Our self esteem is lowered when these ads are thrown in our face. Men think that all women need to be perfect and look like the models they see in ads. We also have to have the perfect body. Well lets face it, we all arent a size zero! Why are our looks so harshly emphasized?! She said only 5% of americans really only have this body type that is desireable or found to be attractive and its genetic! you cant diet your way to it! This is why we as women and girls feel the intense pressure and stress to be perfect and accpetable. Ads are selling more then just products. They are selling sex. Ads have gone to the extreme today with sexual suggestions and risky messages. I never realized this until after watching this clip. I agree with all that she had to say.

4 comments:

  1. I also agreed with the video "Killing me Softly". The video showed the different ways that women are exploited and how they are being judged by different people by different perspectives that are being put in to people minds. Peolpe need to think about the ads that are being presented my the media. We the people need to step back and look at the the ads.People see ads in magazines or on the internet, but when they look at them they just look at them. Instead of fully looking at the meaning of what the ad is presenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it is crazy how girls are constantly being pressured and, feel that they are not good enough. But, I don't think that this impacts all girls. All girls don't feel pressured. Personally, for me, I don't let that kind of stuff bother me. This is me, the real me and I really try not to be bothered by what others think. I still feel some of the pressure that advertisers are laying on my, but I try my hardest not to even pay attention. I do still think that what they are laying out there for everyone to see is a disgrace. I don't understand how they can do that and make people think that they aren't good enough. It is just terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, women are pressured to look a certain way or at least influenced. I think that it is outrageous to think we all have to have the size 0 body, impossible!! The ads about women s bodies i agree are something that the media does on purpose and that it is wrong. The video killing us softly brought all of this to my attention i mean yeah before we felt the pressure but now that we see how the media really is pushing with every single ad is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the women are pressured to look and act a certain way, not near as much as men, and it's getting pretty silly! Even the models that we think have a perfect body are actually being redone almost in trick photogrpahy! They reduce the wrinkle lines under their eyes, etc. It s really sad to see that to get almost anywhere in life you have to look outstanding a fit that supermodel criteria. I dont know if it will get worse but I bet it wont get any better!

    ReplyDelete